Blue Ocean Gear
Position: Electrical Engineer
Are you looking for an exciting Electrical Engineering challenge in IOT electronics that also has a positive impact on ocean health and sustainability?
Blue Ocean Gear is a San Francisco Bay Area-based start-up at the forefront of the growing community of mission-driven businesses building technology to empower good stewardship of the world’s oceans. Our core product is an intelligent, networked buoy system that helps fishers track and monitor their gear, saving them time and money, providing critical operational data and analysis, and reducing the single largest source of ocean plastics – lost fishing gear. In the process, we are bringing IoT to the oceans, rapidly deploying one of the first high-resolution networks of ocean sensors in some of the world’s most economically productive waters. We are seeking driven problem solvers with a global mindset to join our team as we scale up our commercial products.
At Blue Ocean Gear, we are designing products for the fishing industry, which means they must not only withstand volatile ocean conditions and rough handling, but also operate reliably at high performance levels at all times. We are looking for an Electrical Engineer who brings attention to process and detail. Success in this role will be highlighted by familiarity with existing electrical systems, testing the designs limits, and supporting manufacturing efforts as designs move into production. Alongside our team of expert engineers, you’ll have the opportunity to test enhancements to our existing products and new R&D projects. This position requires candidates to work locally in the SF Bay Area with a combination of on-site and remote work.
As part of our engineering team, you will:
- Schematic Capture and PCB design
- Alternate component selection and testing for existing PCB designs
- Develop and execute test plans for both electrical and mechanical subsystems for both R&D and production designs
- Supporting manufacturing efforts with quality checks and validation of assembly procedures
- Support DFM process for new and existing products
- Perform root-cause analysis on returned product Design and build electro-mechanical test fixtures
- Design and conduct lab and field tests as necessary
Necessary Qualifications and Experience:
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics with relevant experience
- At minimum, 3 years of relevant industry experience
- Schematic capture and PCB layout
- Able to read schematics, wiring diagrams, and troubleshoot PCBs
- Familiarity with general tools and electrical bench tools: multi-meter, oscilloscope, soldering iron, hand tools
Desired skills and experience:
- Programming embedded systems
- Python programming
- Experience with Linux command line
The ocean is a vast, inclusive, and diverse ecosystem that impacts an equally varied range of coastal communities and ocean-based industries. Our customer base ranges from large corporations to indigenous and community-based fisheries. We are actively working to build a team that reflects a similar inclusivity and strength in diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Blue Ocean Gear is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.