Plant Project Coordinator I
Since 1994, Sonic has been committed to building a faster, more affordable internet, and to hiring the nicest people around. We are looking for exceptional employees who want to challenge the industry for the better by putting members first and offering accessible connectivity for everyone.
Foster your personal growth, develop your career, and make a difference in an industry where honest business practice has become optional. Every career opening at Sonic is an opportunity to join a dedicated team where each department works closely together with one another.
Join a community-minded company that empowers the growth of a better internet — one home, one business, one employee at a time.
This position is responsible for aiding in the coordination of the day to day project management activities throughout all phases of Sonic’s Plant Construction projects, while promoting Sonic's core values of outstanding customer service, quality, security and integrity.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Project Coordinator I is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position.
Travel will be expected for this position. A valid California Driver’s License for three years and Clean DMV record is required.
A company gas card and vehicle will be supplied as needed. Gas cards are expected to be used on individually assigned company vehicles only.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficient skills in Word / Excel / Adobe PDF / Outlook
- General understanding of the fundamentals of a construction project lifecycle as it pertains to utilities (pre-engineering, engineering, construction, and post-construction activities)
- General understanding of permitting process for aerial and underground construction (including durations, extensions, traffic control requirements, etc.)
- General understanding of the fundamentals of aerial and underground construction, and process of transitioning between the two methods, importance of continuity in network construction.
- Ability to interface with numerous municipal building and roadway departments to complete permit application requests, coordinate work inspections and secure project completion approvals as requested.
- Prepare purchase order requests and monitor associated construction tracking
- Prepare and track check requests.
- Deliver completed permit applications and fees to various Agencies Having Jurisdiction to secure construction permits.
- Experience / knowledge of State, Highway Department, Railway & Municipal requirements for construction permitting processes as requested.
- Ability to learn and implement AT&T and PG&E paperwork processes and procedures.
- Assist with the preparation of SOW documents as requested.
- Assist with the permitting process as requested (Both pole owner attachment and AHJ Encroachment permits)
- Compile and submit aerial permit applications.
- Schedule traffic control and no parking signs
- Monitor expiration date of permits and request extensions as necessary to facilitate construction activities.
- Manage the Closeout process (file NOCs, As-Builts, Closing Permits, CPUC Filing, PG&E Permits, & AT&T Permits. Etc)
- Review as-built drawings to verify quantities for billing.
- Create and send construction notices prior to construction, build and Test & Treat, set up PBX number
- Coordinate with IT and Logistics to issue contractor ID badges/magnets/vests, etc.
- Maintain project progress meeting minutes as requested.
- Prepare and submit map requests (ATT, GIS, Cable Pulls, Etc.)
- Push JIRA Workflows and upload related project files to SharePoint or J drive as appropriate
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Responsibility - Acts independently in the field within reason; knows when to consult for assistance; takes responsibility for vehicles, tools and credit cards.
- Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional situations.
- Technical Skills- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with team members.
- Customer Service- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new
- Oral Communication- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in
- Written Communication- Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational
- Knowledge/Experience – AT&T, PG&E, or Aerial Utility construction.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Driving a Sonic company vehicle is expected.
The Plant crew is exposed to varying site conditions, climates, and elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to sit; key/type. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The Project Coordinator I must be able to drive a Sonic Company vehicle.
Min: $18/hour Max: $24/hour DOE
Benefits and Perks:
- Medical + Dental + Vision benefits
- 401k and Profit Sharing
- Paid Time Off
- Education opportunities
- Stipend for high-speed internet access
- Paid Comprehensive Training
- Growth Opportunities
Sonic is an equal opportunity employer. Sonic is committed to providing a work environment free of harassment, discrimination, retaliation and disrespectful or other unprofessional conduct based on sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation. It also prohibits discrimination, harassment, disrespectful or unprofessional conduct based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.