Hardware Test Engineer (Mechanical)
Fyto has developed a proprietary aquatic crop production platform that uses a fraction of the resources required by terrestrial crops to create effective, environmentally-friendly products that enable farmers to do more with less. In partnership with America’s agricultural community, we help design, develop, finance, and operate aquatic cropping systems that transform nutrient, water, land, emissions, and labor challenges into animal and plant nutrition solutions. The company spun out of MIT in 2019 and is backed by top technology investors including Google Ventures (GV).
Our people are what make our mission possible. We are passionate about our contributions to Fyto and invested in building a rewarding culture of innovative and collaborative teammates, a supportive environment, diverse career opportunities, and meaningful work. Fyto is a place for people that believe they can change the world and want to take action to leave a positive lasting impact. If you share these traits and want to apply yourself to rewrite the rules of agriculture, then come grow with us!
About the Role
We are seeking a Hardware Test Engineer to lead the testing of custom-designed as well as off-the-shelf hardware across the spectrum of our automated crop growing, harvesting, and processing equipment. By demanding thorough functional requirements for all of our products, creating detailed test plans, and testing the robustness of our products on the bench and in the field, you will greatly accelerate our hardware and software development process and drive redesigns from the ground up. You will work closely with the engineering and operations teams at our R+D farm to make our ultra-sustainable, ultra-automated protein production a reality.
- Lead the testing of prototype next-generation harvesting robots and other custom and off-the-shelf equipment (motors, sensors, machines) at our testing facility and at field deployments
- Create detailed test plans, validation protocols, test cases, and benchtop setups for performance and stress testing of robotic systems and field equipment
- Integrate new software and hardware systems into existing processes across Fyto’s automated farms
- Develop performance and reliability standards per industrial guidelines (e.g. ISO standards)
- Interface with the engineering team and collaborate to revise and redesign solutions for problems arising in testing
- Collaborate with the engineering and operations teams to improve engineering change control and change request systems
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in robotics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with processing machinery, factory automation, robots, or agricultural machinery
- Strong working knowledge of sensors, actuators, robotic systems, and machinery
- Experience with testing and integrating individual components into complex assemblies and processes
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing startup environment
- Interest in running tests on hardware in field environments
- Strong ownership mentality and ability to drive and complete multiple projects at once
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Willingness to travel to and work on Fyto's commercial farming sites (anticipated to be less than 20% travel)
Salary range: $120,000-$150,000/yr depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision benefits, 401k program and employee stock options.
FYTO is committed to equal opportunity and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. FYTO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its recruitment processes and employment practices.